- Hours & Locations
- Internet Access Policy
Internet Access Policy
By accepting, you are agreeing to this policy in its entirety.
Internet Use Policy & Guidelines
This policy applies to all users of Brazoria County Library System computers or networks. If you have any questions about the policy or what it means, please contact a librarian for more information.
- Purpose To fulfill our mission, Brazoria County Library System (BCLS) provides access to a broad range of information resources, including those available through the Internet. We make this service available as part of our mission to offer a broadly defined program of informational, educational, recreational and cultural enrichment opportunities for people of all ages and backgrounds.
- Internet Functions Supported
- BCLS provides both text-based and graphical browsers at all our branch locations. The Library exercises discretion in the selection of materials for inclusion in its collection, including those materials it makes available on the Internet. Internet access to the Library is provided via Brazoria County’s Information Systems Department. This access, provided to all county employees, and provided to the public as a free service through the Brazoria County Library System, includes filtering software which permits system administrators to block access to sites containing adult entertainment, pornography, and sites promoting illegal activities is included. This filtering program is updated weekly. However, since any filtering technology is not perfect, the Library cannot guarantee that access to all those sites will be blocked. BCLS does not provide Internet Relay Chat, games, News Groups, or Internet email accounts.
- Access to any site may be reviewed. Please request an Internet Reconsideration Form from any staff member should you be denied access to a desired site or to report objectionable sites.
- BCLS only assumes responsibility for the information provided on the home page. BCLS does not monitor and has no control over the information accessed through the Internet. The Brazoria County Library System cannot guarantee our system will work perfectly, and cannot guarantee the perfect operation of sites sought.
- The Internet offers access to many valuable local, national, and international sources of information. However, not all sources on the Internet provide accurate, complete, or current information. A good information consumer evaluates the validity of information found. Restriction of a child's access to the Internet is the responsibility of the parent or guardian; BCLS does not have the right or responsibility to act in loco parentis. For more information on children and the Internet, see Child Safety on the Information Highway produced by the National Center for Missing and Exploited Children and Interactive Service Organization.
- Responsibilities of Users
- Supervising children's use It is BCLS policy that parents or legal guardians must assume responsibility for deciding what Library resources are appropriate for their children. There will be some resources that parents may feel are inappropriate for their children. Parents should let their children know if there are materials that they do not want them to use. Parents should supervise their child's Internet sessions.
- Choosing and evaluating sources
- The Internet is a global entity with highly diverse user population and information content. Library patrons use it at their own risk. BCLS cannot censor access to materials or protect users from all materials they may find offensive. It is not possible to apply the same selection criteria used for the purchase of other materials available in the Library. Users need to be good information consumers, and should question the validity of information received. In choosing sources to link to our home page, we follow generally accepted Library practices. Beyond this, we do not monitor or control information accessible through the Internet and do not accept responsibility for its content. We are not responsible for changes in content of the sources to which we link, nor for the content of sources accessed through secondary links.
- As with printed information, not all sources on the Internet provide accurate, complete, or current information. It is an unregulated medium and as such it enables access to some material that may be offensive, disturbing, and/or illegal. Users should evaluate Internet sources just as they do printed sources.
- Rules governing use – Time on the workstation is limited to 30 minutes if someone is waiting.
- Users may not
- Use the workstations to gain access to BCLS networks or computer systems or to any other network or computer system.
- Obstruct other people's work by consuming gratuitously large amounts of system resources or by deliberately crashing any computer system.
- Make any attempt to damage computer equipment or software.
- Make any attempt to alter software configurations.
- Make any attempt to cause degradation of system performance.
- Use any BCLS workstation for any illegal or criminal purpose.
- Violate copyright laws or software licensing agreements in their use of BCLS workstations.
- Engage in any activity that is deliberately and maliciously offensive, libelous, or slanderous.
- Install any software. Violations may result in loss of access. Unlawful activities will be dealt with in a serious and appropriate manner.
- US copyright law (Title 17, US Code) prohibits the unauthorized reproduction or distribution of copyrighted materials, except as permitted by the principles of "fair use". Users may not copy or distribute electronic materials (including electronic mail, text, images, programs or data) without the explicit permission of the copyright holder. Any responsibility for any consequences of copyright infringement lies with the user. BCLS expressly disclaims any liability or responsibility resulting from such use.
- BCLS expressly disclaims any liability or responsibility arising from access to or use of information obtained through its electronic information systems, or any consequences thereof.
- Liability Disclaimer – In consideration for the privilege of using the system and for having access to the free information contained within it, you hereby release and hold harmless the County of Brazoria, its officers, agents, servants, or employees, the Brazoria County Library System, its staff, volunteers, representatives or advisors, and all Cities in a contractual agreement with the County of Brazoria, their officers, agents, servants, or employees, from any and all liability or responsibility for any and all claims, damages, losses, costs or expenses, including attorney fees arising either directly or indirectly from the use of this system, whether or not caused, in whole or in part, by alleged negligence of the County of Brazoria, its officers, agents, servants, employees, volunteers, representatives or advisors.
Approved by Commissioners’ Court 05.08.2007
By accepting, you are agreeing to this policy in its entirety.